Electrocution: Family cries foul
Posted by African Press International on May 29, 2011
BY DICKENS WASONGA.
A FAMILY of a nine-year old school boy who was electrocuted at Manyatta Estate in Kisumu has faulted the Kenya Power and Lighting Company for not handling the case genuinely.
The victim identified as Bruce Omondi, a class four Pupil at Migosi Primary school, reportedly sustained severe injuries in both arms when he was electrocuted by an electricity wire which was hanging near their house at Corner Legion in Manyatta when the incident occurred early three weeks ago.
He is now undergoing treatment at the New Nyanza Provincial General Hospital where his four fingers from the left hand has been amputated following the incident that almost claimed his life.
The electricity wire reportedly hanged after the pole was tilted to the ground following a heavy down pour witnessed in the area at the time of the incident on May 9 this year.
Speaking to the press in Kisumu yesterday to explain the family predicament, Maurice Onono who is the elder brother to the victim said efforts to have the Kenya Power and Lighting to help them over the incident has bore no fruit at all.
Onono said the Kenya Power and Lighting Company should admit liability and compensate the boy who is a total orphan.
He said he went back to the KPLC Kisumu regional office in a bid to pursue the matter but without success after reporting to office.
When contacted to comment on the matter, Western Kenya KPLC Regional Manager Eng. Jared Othieno said the matter had not been brought to his attention but instead referred the press to his deputy who is based in Kisumu.
The Deputy western Kenya KPLC Michael Adhiambo could not be reached for comments as his cell phone was switched off.
Meanwhile, Kisumu Town West Member of Parliament John Olago Aluoch wants Kenya Power and Lightning Company to admit a liability following the incident.
In a letter addressed to KPLC Managing Director Eng.Joseph Njoroge, the MP, a lawyer by profession says, â€œyou failed and or ignored to keep live power transmission wires away from contact with the public with the tragic outcome that a minor came into contact with the same causing near fatal injuries that have left him paralyzed.
The legislator lamented that even after the onlookers alerted both the police and KPLC’s emergency crew, who came to the scene, no action had been taken by the company..
In his letter to the KPLC Managing Director, Olago concluded that, we regret to advise that if your admission of liability will not have been received within 15 days from May 17, we will have no option but to file appropriate common law proceedings against you.